Thursday 18 August 2011

Results Day!!

Last night my daughter, Holly phoned me and said something I never thought I would hear. "I can do maths!" She went on to tell me she had been adding fractions and calculating ratios all day. Rewind four years and I am sitting at a table with her on holiday, teaching her number bonds. She is 15 and has to go back to school a day early to re-sit her end of year maths exam as she did so badly. Her writing has reverted to the writing of a seven year old. The pencil is gripped in her fist and sometimes she writes the numbers backwards. She is crying as the whole experience brings up memories of school misery. Eventually we master those and move on to times tables. That brings up more stress and some for me as well! It is heartbreaking to watch but she is desperate to pass her Maths GSCE as she believes doors will close for her otherwise.

Fast forward to now.....what's changed. She has found her passion. In February she decided not to take up any of her university places but instead to enrol on a practical filmaking course. Six months later she has discovered the wonderful world of cameras and cinematography. The first time she told me about working with a film camera she almost cried. "It's as though I make sense for the first time in my life." She found all the things that had caused problems at school suddenly became gifts....even the bullying she had experienced. Suddenly it became possible to see how everything that had happened had been preparing her for this experience. It also confirmed what we have always told parents....that people find a way of learning what they need when the time is right. Maths now has a context for Holly as she has to calculate ratios and fractions to operate the cameras she loves.

For me this has been the Law of Attraction in action. There is no way I could have anticipated four years ago that the girl sobbing at the table would want to be a cinematographer. I couldn't even guide her in the right direction. She found it herself. Yesterday she also told me that she now believes there is a job for everyone.....so long as they do what they want to do, not what everyone else wants them to do. This is not always easy and there have been many tears along the way, hers and mine. I have been helped by the constant reassurance of people who know Holly, that she would be fine.

So on this day of results if there is anyone out there with a child who hasn't got the grades they need......trust. It will all work out brilliantly even though it may not be possible to see how at the moment. Give us a ring if you would like our help and please share your stories with us.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment